It breaks my heart to see the latest restrictions hit BC–the strictest to date–and the immediate ramifications it has had on local businesses who already have pivoted so many times to keep their doors open. From restaurants with no patio options getting shut down to fitness centres and tourism-related closures, this pandemic has really taken a toll on business owners who still have leases to pay and mouths to feed other than their own.
That all being said, it goes without saying, our empathy is not enough. It’s time to get creative and put our money where our mouths are.
Here are just a few things we can do as a community to help see local businesses through this unrelenting time:
1. Keep gym memberships going and maybe take some online classes instead.
2. Get some takeout or find a restaurant with some patio space with people in your immediate bubble.
3. Buy gift certificates to support our tourism industry now and enjoy some pretty awesome experiences when its safe to do so. (https://supportlocalbc.com)
4. If you enjoyed a particular service or experience, spread the word by giving that business a positive Google or Yelp review.
5. And most importantly, let’s not cheat the restrictions, regardless of how harmless we think our actions might be. Because the more we respect these restrictions that have been put in place for our greater good, the sooner we will ALL get past this horrible pandemic.
And lastly, even with the recent roll-out of vaccines, let’s please continue to be smart out there. Let’s continue to wear our masks, keep our distance from one another and avoid irresponsible gatherings outside of our bubbles. And let’s also continue to be kind and respectful to one another. Because when it comes down to it, we’re all doing our best out there and this time will eventually pass.